The Animation Strategy
In Viborg Municipality we perceive animation as much more than entertainment and stories for children. We also see it as modern and democratic communication. Animation is an effective tool in a complex knowledge society - animation can explain complex issues that everyone can understand. Animation is meaningful communication that speaks both to heart and brain.
The City Council in Viborg Municipality has adopted animation as a strategic focus and uses animation as a general feature integrated in most public communication.
Two living cases will be presented at the exhibition:
- Dental Care Guide uses a visual platform on iPad or iPhone to motivate and instruct caregivers and others to improve elderly citizens’ dental health. The platform makes it possible to identify the most common dental health issues and how to deal with them. It is even possible to send pictures and questions concerning dental healthcare issues to a dentist and get an answer in a few minutes.
- LONELINESS AMONG ELDERLY is made as an animation to communicate the topic in a visual and engaging way. The animation is based on the fact that lonely elderly rarely reaches out for help themselves. Therefore, there is a need for involvement and information that reach the target group of relatives. The purpose is to highlight various forms of loneliness and to call for action by encouraging relatives, neighbors etc. to contact social and health care service. Ultimately the goal is, that this communication will be more personal and less difficult to talk about, both for the lonely elders themselves, but most definitely also the staff of the end-user organizations and the relatives and close networks of the lonely elders. The animation film presents a “common third”, a characterization of the emotion of loneliness, and the thesis is, that this way of portraying loneliness can open up for a better dialogue about the impact of loneliness.
To reach the target group in new and better ways regardless of level of literacy.
- The purpose of the Dental Care Guide is to provide healthy dental status to citizens who, because of dementia or disability, are no longer able to handle their dental and oral hygiene. The caregiver gets a tool that can help make daily dental care for citizens.
- Loneliness is a significant health risk among the elderly. Identifying lonely elders can be problematic, as they often do not reach out themselves. The overall aim of the project was to provide Tertiary end-user organizations like Viborg Municipality, with a communications tool that helps to activate secondary end-users in identifying the lonely elders.
Elderly, their relatives and professional care givers.
Impact for citizen
The aim of using animation is that Viborg as a Municipality meets citizens at eye level and aims to give citizens tools to exploit their full potentials. Research has shown that animations using speech rather than static information such as text and graphics increase the learning ability of citizens, patients and staff members. The two examples have in both cases an impact on everyday life for the target group.
- The aim of the Dental Care Guide is that caregivers provide dental care so effective that the citizen can get nourishing nutrition, avoid diseases and, not least, a healthy smile on his/her mouth.
- Concerning the animation about lonely elderly the main identification of them gives the Municipality opportunities to reach out and offer different interventions depending of the elderly’s needs.
Impact for staff
- In the Dental Care Guide animations show how best to help with tooth and mouth hygiene in relation to posture, methods and systematics in care. Furthermore, staff have easy access to information about most common dental and mouth diseases.
- The animation for identification of lonely elderly is a visual communication format that gives staff possibilities for creating a new language around loneliness to communicate through and reach the target group in new and better ways.
Each product has a unique business case. Some of them save expenses in terms of increased health and time spent with staff and other health care providers. Other project earn a coin foot that is about recruiting more inquiries.
Cost of product
The costs are very individual from each project.
Life expectancy of product
Once an animation is developed the Municipality has the intellectual property rights and can use the product for lifetime and unlimited.
Other costs of acquisition and setup
Primarily no other costs. Some of the products are available via subscription where eg a nursing home purchases access to its staff members.
Expected annual costs
The Dental Care Guide is provided through subscription and cost depends on number of participants.
The animations work on social media, websites and on information screen at relevant locations - public areas as waiting rooms etc.
Is the product for personal use or can it be used by (how) many people?
Once the animation is produced it can be used by unlimited number of persons. Some of the solutions are distributed by subscription.
Is the product intended for training purposes?
How much time is needed for the user or staff to get to know how to use of the product?
It differs from product to product but most of the solutions have a very agile implementation with very little timespan to get to use the product.
Has the product been presented before at other exhibitions or venues?
No, not yet.
Experiences from practice
At the websites linked below experiences from both cases are descriped.